BC2D20 Current Regulating Two Motor Controller
The BC2D20 USB and RS232-based controller boards are complete Bipolar dual-axis stepper motor controller systems implemented on a miniature 2.5 inch wide by 2.1 inch tall board (USB and RS232 versions shown here). They include the capability of driving one or two bipolar stepper motors at high speeds using current control techniques. These units are a good choice for those designing products which require higher motor speeds, since they can easily "over-voltage" the motor (to attain the higher speed) without overloading it. They are available both with RS232 and USB based communications.
These products require that you select a power supply whose voltage and current can handle your stepper motor. You will first want to review the calculating motor current for current controlled products faq in order to determine the current and voltage requirements for your motor.
The base product can operate bipolar motors from about 0.15 to 2.0 amps/winding; however, you must order the correct configuration for your motor current needs. It is available in one of three ranges:
|Option||Motor Current Range (approximate)|
|-0312||20 to 312 mA/winding|
|-0700||150 to 700 mA/winding|
|-2000E||150 to 2000 mA (2.0A)/winding (extra cost option)|
This board is normally configured with the BC2D20PotRouter firmware. The firmware is user updatable, so you may upgrade the firmware yourself as new capabilities become available.
We also support the NC environment using the BC2D20NCRouter firmware. This allows for vector-oriented NC control of your system in a fairly easy-to-use environment. Please click here for more information on this offering.
The BC2D20PotRouter key capabilities may be summarized as follows:
- Up to two stepper motors may be independently controlled at one time.
- One or two potentiometers (user provided) may be used to control the stepping rates of the motors.
- Limit switches may be used to automatically request motion stop of either motor in either direction.
- Rates of 1 to 57,600 microsteps per second are supported.
- Step rates are changed by linearly ramping the rates; the rate of change is independently programmed for each motor, and can be from 1 to over 1,000,000,000 microsteps per second per second.
- All motor coordinates and rates are expressed in programmable microstep units of 1/16 to one full step. Once the base step size is selected, changing stepping modes between half, full and micro does not change any other value other than which winding pairs may be driven at the same time. As of version 2.0 of the firmware, each motor may have its own microstep size.
- Motor coordinates are maintained as 32 bit signed values, and thus have a range of –2,147,483,647 through +2,147,483,647.
- Both GoTo and Slew actions are fully supported.
- A TTL "busy" signal is available, which can be used to see if the motors are still moving. Note that this information is also available from the serial communications subsystem.
- Simple control of the motors may be done by switch closure: i.e., each motor can be told to slew left or right, or to stop by simply grounding some input lines. Similarly, the rate of motion can be controlled via a user-provided potentiometer.
- Complete control of the motors, including total monitoring of current conditions, is available through the 9600 baud serial or USB connection (depending on the board that you order).
- You have full control over the current which is sent to the windings, both when the motors are in motion and when they are idle.
- Runs off of a single user-provided 7.5 to 15 volt DC power supply. The board may also be configured using a split supply, wherein the motors run off of a separate DC power supply, while the logic circuit runs off of a 5 volt DC supply or USB power.
- USB and RS232 versions of the product are available
Hint: If you want to save your own copy of the manual, right click on the appropriate link (above), and then select the 'Save Target As...' option which appears. Tell the system where to save the manual, and then you will be able to browse it at your leisure.
Click here if you need to download the current version Adobe Acrobat Reader from Adobe's site.
Click here if you prefer to use Foxit Reader as is available from the Foxit Software site.
We accept American Express, MasterCard, Visa and Discover for orders from the USA. For international orders, we require wire transfers.